Isaiah Kiplagat Koech: Biography, Family, Athletics Kenya, & Death


    Isaiah Kiplagat, one of Kenya’s most illustrious and flamboyant veteran sports administrator, is dead.

    Born and brought up in a humble background in Nandi, Rift Valley.

    Schooled in the 50s after his mother’s intervention to have him go through school.

    After having the rare chance to join high school, he went through a police training program and was soon employed as a cadet officer of the Kenya prison back in 1965.

    He was later promoted and authorized to open and spearhead a new police post in Naivasha.

    He later left for the UK in 1969 to further his education in management studies.

    On his return, he earned a job as a Nairobi council worker in 1975 before joining Athletic Kenya and appointed as vice chairman.
    1992 elected the new chairman of Athletics Kenya.

    Worked as the managing director of Post Bank from 1988-2002 when he retired.

    Kiplagat, 72, who battled cancer for years, took a final bow at his Karen home shortly before 9am on Wednesday morning.

    Kiplagat was one of the longest-serving sports administrators in the country, having worked in various capacities at Athletics Kenya (AK) for the last four decades.

    Former AK secretary-general and vice president David Okeyo, who eulogised Kiplagat as a fearless and visionary sports administrator, said he received a call from Kiplagat’s family at 9.30am shortly after he had passed on.

    “They wanted me in Nairobi immediately,” said Okeyo, who was speaking from Kisumu. “It’s sad to receive such news in the morning and my condolences to the family.”

    Love him or hate him, Kiplagat, who was fondly known as “Fundi” by his peers, endeared himself to both friends and foes as a shrewd administrator, who worked his way out of difficult situations to retain his position as Athletics Kenya chief since 1992 before stepping down last year.

    Read also: Suspended Athletics Kenya President Isaiah Kiplagat is dead


    Under his watch, Athletics Kenya transformed to a firm and vibrant federation that has been the envy of many, winning awards both locally and internationally.

    The consistent performance showcased by the association saw AK bag the federation/association of the year award in the SOYA awards gala for three consecutive years from 2009.

    But to his foes, Kiplagat’s iron-fist rule, coupled with the divide-and-rule method, was what helped him stay at the helm for years, having retired as the Postbank managing director in 2002 after serving for 14 years.

    Kiplagat, who took over Kthe enya Amateur Athletics Association (KAAA), now AK, as chairman in 1992, turned the association from a non-profit-making entity to the richest federation in the country.

    By the time of his unceremonious and controversial departure last year, AK had Sh130 million in current assets and almost Sh1 billion in fixed assets, including the AK headquarters, Riadha House.


    Kiplagat died while still under investigation alongside three other former AK officials by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Ethics Commission.

    Kiplagat, alongside vice-president David Okeyo and former treasurer Joseph Kinyua, were suspended for six months in November last year for their alleged involvement in graft and subversion in anti-doping control in Kenya.

    The suspension was extended for another six months in June this year to enable the Sharad Rao-led commission more time to conclude the investigations.

    This year has seen sweeping changes at Riadha House. Kiplagat, who had served both locally and internationally for four decades, exited the scene under controversial circumstances.

    Kiplagat had in May last year stepped aside as AK president so as to concentrate his energies in campaigning to become one of the IAAF vice-presidents later in August of that year. However, he was defeated.


    His efforts to return to the AK office was scuttled when an AK executive met and suspended him and two other officials as athletes also staged a protest at Riadha House in November to stop Kiplagat’s return.

    “Though seen as harsh, it was not out of bad faith since Kiplagat wanted athletics to grow from strength to strength and that is why many people are enjoying the dividends from his hard work now,” added Okeyo.

    Kinyua said Kiplagat has left a legacy that will be remembered for many years.

    “I worked with him for 16 years after [he hand-picked] me from Kenya Science. We took over KAAA with a Sh 2 million debt to where it is now,” said Kinyua.

    Kiplagat was also at the helm of other sports federations. He was the chairman of Safari Rally Ltd, a member of the World Rally Championship from 1999 to 2003. He was also the chairman of the Automobile Association of Kenya that was also affiliated to the FIA over the same period.

    Sources: Daily Nation | Michezo Africa |

    0 0 votes
    Article Rating
    Notify of

    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments