IEBC Latest Jobs 2019 Advertised & Shortlisted Candidates
IEBC Latest Jobs 2019 Advertised & Shortlisted Candidates
Vacancy in the Position of Commission Secretary/ Chief Executive Officer, Independent
Electoral and Boundaries Commission – Ref. V.NO/IEBC/C/CEO/1/2019.
The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) is an independent
Constitutional Commission established under Article 88 of the Constitution of Kenya.
The Commission is responsible for conducting or supervising referenda and elections to any elective body or office established by the constitution and any other elections as prescribed by an Act of Parliament and in particular for:
- a) The continuous registration of citizens as voters;
- b) The regular revision of the voters’ roll;
- c) The delimitation of constituencies and wards in accordance with the constitution;
- d) The regulation of the process by which parties nominate candidates for elections;
- e) The settlement of electoral disputes, including disputes relating to or arising from nominations, but excluding election petitions and disputes subsequent to the declaration of election results;
- f) The registration of candidates for election;
- g) Voter education;
- h) The facilitation of the observation, monitoring and evaluation of elections;
- i) The regulation of the amount of money that may be spent by or on behalf of a candidate or party in respect of any election;
- j) The development and enforcement of a code of conduct for candidates and parties contesting elections;
- k) The monitoring of compliance with the legislation required by article 82 (1) (b) of the constitution relating to nomination of candidates by parties;
- l) The investigation and prosecution of electoral offences by candidates, political parties or their agents pursuant to article 157(12) of the constitution;
- m) The use of appropriate technology and approaches in the performance of its functions;
- n) Such other functions as are provided for by the constitution or any other written law
The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) is committed to upholding national values and principles of governance as enshrined in Article 10 and the values and principles of public service in Article 232(1) and (2) of the Constitution.
These values and principles are fundamental to the mandate of IEBC in ensuring credible, transparent, free and fair elections.
Pursuant to the provisions of Articles 248(2), 250 (12) and 252(1) (c) of the Constitution of Kenya and Sections 10(1), 11 and 12 of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) Act of 2011, the Commission hereby invites applications for the position of Commission Secretary/ Chief Executive Officer.
Commission Secretary/Chief Executive Officer (CS/CEO) Ref. V.NO/IEBC/C/CEO/1/2019
Functions and Duties of CS/CEO
The Secretary shall, in the performance of the functions and duties of office, be responsible, answerable and report to the Commission and shall be—
(a)The chief executive officer of the Commission; (b) Head of the secretariat;
(c) The accounting officer of the Commission; (d) Custodian of all commission’s records; (e)Responsible for—
- Executing decisions of the Commission;
- Assignment of duties and supervision of all employees of the Commission; iii. Facilitating, coordinating and ensuring execution of Commission’s mandate; iv. Ensuring staff compliance with public ethics and values; and
- The performance of such other duties as may be assigned by the law and Commission.
In addition the CS/CEO shall be responsible for:
- a) Providing requisite leadership to the Secretariat to ensure the Commission attains high level of professionalism and ethical standards in its entire mandate, policies and programmes;
- b) Heading the Secretariat which shall perform the day to day administrative functions of the Commission;
- c) Preparing the Commission’s annual plans and estimates;
- d) Overseeing financial and administrative management of the Commission;
- e) Driving the Commission’s vision and mission through the implementation of its strategic plan;
- f) Mobilizing and managing the resources of the Commission to achieve its core mandate;
- g) Ensure safe custody of all the Commissions documents as the chief custodian; and h) The performance of such other duties as may be assigned by the law and the Commission.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience for Appointment
- a) Be a citizen of Kenya;
- b) Holds a degree from a recognized university;
- c) Possession of a relevant Masters degree will be an added advantage;
- d) Have fifteen years’ proven relevant experience in either: electoral management, public administration, law, and political science, five years of which must be at comparable senior management level, preferably in Public Sector;
- e) Membership of a recognised professional body and in good standing will be an added advantage.
- f) Proven experience in leadership, management and corporate governance will be added advant
- g) Proven working knowledge and thorough understanding of Public Finance
Management Act and Public Procurement and Asset Disposal Act will be an added advantage.
- h) Must be computer literate;
- i) Meets the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitutio Duration of Service and remuneration
The Commission Secretary/Chief Executive Officer shall hold office for a term of five years but shall be eligible for re-appointment for one further term of five years subject to satisfactory performance. The position has an attractive remuneration and benefits.
In addition to the qualifications set above, the applicants must further meet and evidence the following clearances:
- a) Director, Ethics and Anti-Corruption (EACC)
- b) Director, Criminal Investigation Department (CID)
- c) Commissioner General, Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- d) Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP)
- e) Chief Executive Officer, Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- f) Professional bodies (where applicable) to which the applicant belongs such as LSK, ICPAK, AAK, IEK etc
- g) Credit Reference Bureau Africa Limited or Metropol Credit Reference Bureau.
All shortlisted applicants may be subjected by the Commission to a security clearance by
National Intelligence Service (NIS).
- a) An applicant must clearly indicate the position and vacancy reference number;
- b) Interested Candidates are requested to submit their duly completed IEBC Application Form together with an up-to-date curriculum vitae, copies of Certificates and testimonials, email and telephone contacts together with names, telephone and email contacts of three (3) referees who must be familiar with the candidates previous work experience;
- c) The IEBC Application Form is available at the IEBC website (wwiebc.or.ke) or may be collected from 6th Floor, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi;
- d) Applications and supporting documents shall be submitted electronically in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org; and in addition, hard copies of the same to be delivered to the Office of the IEBC Chairperson, 6th Floor, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi.
- e) All submitted applications must be referenced; Applications shall be addressed to –
Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC), 6th
Floor, Anniversary Towers, University Way, P.O. Box 45371-00100, GPO, Nairobi.
To be received on or before 5:00 pm on Wednesday, 31st January, 2019. Disqualification Criteria
The following persons are and/or will be excluded:
- a) Any person who has at any time within the preceding five years contested for or held any elective political position;
- b) Any person who has been a member of a governing body of a political party or affiliated groups to political parties in the last five years;
- c) Any person adversely mentioned in any report by a Commission of Inquiry. d) Any person who canvasses directly or indirectly;
- e) Any person who, knowingly, willingly and blatantly lies, misrepresents, cheats and fails to disclose material facts.
- f) Any person who is either charged in court or is undergoing investigation by any statutory agency
- a) Names of all applicants and the interview schedule of the shortlisted shall be published in the print media and in the Commission’s website: wwiebc.or.ke after the closure of the advert.
- b) Only shortlisted candidates will be contac
Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC),
6th Floor, Anniversary Towers, University Way, P.O. Box 45371-00100 GPO, Nairobi.
Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission is an equal opportunity employer